This is a great appetizer or snack for the summertime when eggplant is in season. The sweet oregano and red pepper flakes plays well with the fresh flavor of our Marinara. These bruschetta are rich in the powerful, cancer-fighting antioxidant lycopene.
1 jar Cucina Fresca Marinara Sauce
1 baguette, cut into 1/4-inch-thick-slices
1 garlic clove, cut in half
1 pound eggplant
1 tsp dried oregano
Olive oil, as needed
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 cup Cucina Fresca Marinara Sauce
3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
6 oz feta cheese or goat cheese, crumbled
1. Brush the baguette slices with a little oil, sprinkle with a little salt, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 6-8 minutes until golden brown. This can also be done over a grill by oiling and seasoning the bread and grilling 2-3 minutes per side. Rub the toasted or grilled bread with the cut side of the garlic cloves.
2. To grill the eggplant, slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices. Brush the slices with a little olive oil and season with the dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Roast the eggplant on sheet pans in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F. To grill, prepare the eggplants the same way and grill 2-3 minutes per side until soft but not mushy.
3. Allow eggplants to cool slightly and dice into bite-size-pieces.
4. Mix with crushed red pepper flakes, Marinara Sauce, and parsley.
5. Mound mixture atop the toasted bread slices and top with a little crumbled cheese.