Our Smoked Tomato Sauce is the perfect base for some delicious chicken enchiladas. To save time, make a double batch and freeze one batch for later. This is a great way to use up leftover or rotisserie chicken. The spices in the enchilada sauce are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatories.
3 cups Cucina Fresca Smoked Tomato Sauce
1 whole roasted chicken
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
12 corn tortillas
12 oz queso fresco or cotija cheese (sharp cheddar can be used here too)
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. Remove the skin from the chicken. Shred or chop the chicken into bite-size pieces.
2. Mix the Smoked Tomato Sauce with the chili powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
4. Mix the chicken with half of the enchilada sauce.
5. Warm the tortillas so that they’re easier to roll. Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll. Place in a greased rectangular baking dish.
6. Top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and crumble over the cheese.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted.
8. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.